History of KBI
This is a very large file and will take a few minutes to download...but it's worth it!
1856 Keneseth Israel founded by Polish Jews.
1869 Moves to Mayo Street after fire.
1886 Russian Jews establish Sir Moses Montefiore, an Orthodox congregation.
1908 New synagogue built on 19th Street.
1930 Congregation Etz Chaim is founded as an Orthodox synagogue.
1948 Etz Chaim and Sir Moses Montefiore congregations merge to form Beth Israel Orthodox Synagogue.
1952 Keneseth Israel and Beth Israel congregations merge to form Keneseth Beth Israel.
1970 New building at 6300 Patterson Avenue.